Monday, September 13, 2010

something new

in two short weeks, on saturday, sept. 25th, i'll be selling my art at the saline harvest of the arts oktoberfest. i'm really excited and thankful for the opportunity to take part in this event! 
i wanted to give you a sneak-peek at a few pieces i've been working on (well, to be honest, working on, and off, and on again), for the last several weeks.  i'm hoping they'll be completed and ready to sell at the art fair in saline.

three pieces of art... in process.  like myself.

i'm really curious to see how they turn out.  when i start working on the pieces in the beginning, i'm never sure what they'll end up looking like.  sometimes i think i know, and i'll start guiding the piece in a certain direction, often to only end up painting over what i've done.  funny how the more i try to force things or control things in my artwork, the more frustrated i become.  when i feel "stuck" on a certain piece, having no idea what to do next, or having tried and tried again to get it to look a certain way, only to be unhappy with how it looks, rick's really great about reminding me that i can walk away from it for a while.  sometimes i think a piece is done, only to come back to it a few weeks later to add something new. 

it all sounds a lot like my life in general, actually.  God is such a huge part of  my art and why i create it - guess i shouldn't be too surprised when He uses the entire process to teach and guide, to remind me: that my value doesn't lie in what i get done or accomplish.  that i don't always know how things will turn out.  that i don't have to force things.  that there is freedom in surrendering my plans and agendas to Him.  that sometimes when a season, hope, or dream seems to be over, it might not be.  He may have something new in store for me.

i think i'm beginning to realize that through this whole creative journey, as i embrace who i truly am in Jesus, surrounding myself in God's love, seeking Him and His Truth, creating and sharing all of this through my art, God's creating something new and beautiful where i least expected it - in me.

more on new art and my preparations for the saline art fair, soon... today, i am just so thankful and overwhelmed by God's love for me - and for you, dear ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these look awesome already. you are very gifted. and loved what you wrote about them. love you.

anne