Tuesday, September 28, 2010

the saline harvest of the arts art fair

well, friends, i made it through my first juried art fair!  saturday was an amazing day.  God was truly with me, loving me all day long.  i can't even begin to tell you how much fun i had.

after a super late gig the night before, my wonderful husband, rick, got up early to come with me to set up my booth.  he had a gig on the west side of the state, so he couldn't stay with me all day, but having him with me in the morning was a blessing.  friends and family stopped by throughout the day, too, which meant so much to me!  my dear friend, rick's aunt, michaella, sat with me for a while to keep me company, and another dear friend, kathryn, sat with me most of the day.  they were fantastic - bringing me pretzels from the oktoberfest food tents, getting me coffee, watching the tent so i could chat with some of the other artists.  it was so nice to be surrounded by people who love and support me all day long!

after weeks of work, i was really happy with how my booth turned out - and i even received an "honorable mention" for best display!  i was so excited.  i received tons of encouragement from other artists and from those who visited my booth.  one woman asked me which art galleries my artwork was in! 

i'm so thankful to have met so many amazing artists who offered advice, or suggested other art fairs they thought i should be a part of.  an owner of one of my favorite shops visited my booth, and she had such encouraging things to say about my art and display.  at one point, i was literally jumping up and down in my tent (kathryn can confirm this)!  

oh, and i should mention - people bought my art!  something in my art (an extension of who i am, of my heart), connected with them.  what a blessing!  i couldn't stop smiling all day long.

here are some pictures:

my booth!
  
handsome shopper!  =)

i received a ribbon for my booth display - hooray!

i was super encouraged by these nice ladies!




 
very happy girl!

towards the end of the day, one of the artists i met said to me, "you're really enjoying yourself, aren't you?!"  and i really truly was.

the art fair is over, but there's still a lot to do!  this week, after i catch up on laundry and other household stuff much neglected in the rush to prepare for saturday's art fair, i'll be working hard to get my etsy shop up and running.  i'll let you know as soon as it is.

on sunday, when i was talking with rick about the art fair, i told him that i really felt like i was "in my element."  being with people, talking with them about why i create my art, where the ideas and words come from - my heart is still full.  i think that the entire experience may have been another step (maybe even a really big one), in claiming who i truly am - who God has created me to be.

blessings to you today, dear ones.  thanking God for His love, encouragement, and faithfulness - and for each of you, too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After I bought the print at the Saline art fair, I went to Michael's and found the perfect frame for only $5! It made the perfect anniversary gift for one of my lifelong friends. The piece is your 'Dwell in the House of Love' piece. I love where it has "You are welcome here." printed in the corner. Your art touches my heart, Michele. Hey! That rhymes. Your ART touches my HEART!! thanks so much for the hard work you put into your art. It comes out beautiful.

David Westerfield said...

You should have told me you had a blog! Good job. Nice work on the booth. Keep at it.

Besides etsy, consider imagekind.com for prints. There is no cost.

Good luck,
"Uncle" Dave

Anonymous said...

Michele, you booth was amazing. It was, in itself, a work of art. So great to see you "in your element". You are so talented and your work is so beautiful and uplifting. Congrats on a very successful event.- Christina

Ryan said...

Michele - your booth was awesome and glad you had a great as we did as well. Next one be sure to sell some lanterns to help your mom lower her inventory as well. (The demands of the customers should not be overlooked but capitalized on). Keep up the great work.

Steph Cherry said...

I love the pics and seeing all the fun you had. I am ridiculously proud of you.